amazonia legal abril 20111 - Deforestation Report (SAD) February 2012Check the data on deforestation and forest degradation in the Amazon in February 2012.
In February 2012, The Deforestation Alert System (SAD) detected 107 square kilometers of deforestation in Legal Amazon. It represented a 59% increase regarding February 2011 when the deforestation totaled 67 square kilometers.

The deforestation accumulated in the period of August 2011 to February 2012 totaled 708 square kilometers. There was 23% reduction regarding the same previous period (August 2010 to February 2011) when the deforestation totaled 922 square kilometers.
In February 2012, most part (65%) of the deforestation occurred in Mato Grosso. The rest occurred in Rondônia (12%), Amazonas (10%), Roraima and Pará (7% each).
The degraded forests in Legal Amazon totaled 95 square kilometers in February 2012. Comparing to February 2012, there was a 15% reduction, when the forest degradation totaled 112 square kilometers. Most part (70%), occurred in Mato Grosso, followed by Rondônia (15%), Roraima (9%), Pará (5%), and Amazonas (1%).
The accumulated forest degradation was of 1.528 square kilometers for the period of August 2011 to February 2012. Regarding to the previous period (August 2010 to February 2011), there was a 60% reduction, when the degradation totaled 3.814 square kilometers.
In February 2012, the deforestation detected by SAD compromised 6.6 million tons of equivalent CO2. In the accumulated period (August 2011 – February 2012) the emissions of equivalent CO2 related to the deforestation totaled 47 million tons, which represents a reduction of 14% regarding the previous period (August 2010 to February 2011).
It was possible to monitor only 24% of the forest area in Legal Amazon in February 2012 with SAD. The other 76% were covered by clouds which complicated the monitoring in the region.
Download the file here

Leia também:

After you have typed in some text, hit ENTER to start searching...