amazonia legal abril 20111 - Forest Transparency for the Legal Amazon (March 2011)See here the data about the deforestation and forest degradation in the Brazilian Amazon for March 2011.
Hayashi, S., Souza Jr, C., Sales, M. & Veríssimo, A. 2011
In March 2011, SAD detected 46 square kilometers of deforestation in the Legal Amazon.

This represented a reduction of 39% in comparison to March 2010 when the deforestation totaled 76 square kilometers. The accumulated deforestation during the period from August 2010 to March 2011, corresponding to the first eight months of the current deforestation calendar, totaled 972 square kilometers. There was a slight decrease of 3% in relation to the same previous period (August 2009 to March 2010) when the deforestation totaled 1,000 square kilometers. In March 2011 the states with the largest deforestation area were Rondônia with 69%, followed by Mato Grosso 23%. The rest of the deforestation occurred in Acre (4%), Pará (2%) and Roraima (2%).
The degraded forests in Legal Amazon totaled 299 square kilometers in March 2011.Compared to March 2010, when the deforestation totaled 220 square kilometers, this means a 35% increase. The majority (73%) of this deforestation occurred in Mato Grosso followed, quite far, by Rondônia (27%).
The accumulated forest degradation during the period from August 2010 to March 2011 totaled 4,056 square kilometers. In relation to the previous period (August 2009 to March 2010) there was a significant increase (225%) when the forest degradation totaled 1,248 square kilometers.
In March 2011, the deforestation detected by SAD resulted in a commitment of 1 million tons of CO2 equivalents which represents a reduction of 23% in relation to March 2010. With the accumulated on the period (August 2010 – March 2011) the deforestation resulted in a commitment of 60 million tons of C02 equivalents and represented a reduction of 8% in relation to the previous period (August 2009 to March 2010).
It was possible to monitor with SAD only 19% of the forest area in Legal Amazon in March 2011. The other 81% were covered by clouds making difficult to monitor the region, especially in Pará and Mato Grosso, where respectively 93% and 80% of the forest area was covered by clouds. These states had been responsible for major deforestation of the Amazon region.
Download the file here

Leia também:

After you have typed in some text, hit ENTER to start searching...